If you are interested in sharing your job opening with the Apra Indiana membership, please contact
Stephanie Brouwer. Job postings will remain active on this site for at least 60 days.
Current Openings (Updated June 21, 2018)
Director of Prospect Research & Moves Management at Hanover College
Director of Prospect Research & Moves Management at Hanover College
Location: Hanover, Indiana
The Hanover College Advancement Department provides leadership, support, and coordination in generating support for the College’s teaching, service, and research functions through the development, oversight, implementation, and management of campus wide campaigns, and service to academic units for priority projects and approved campaigns.
The Advancement Department’s Prospect Research and Management Director manages prospect research and wealth trends, actively participates in the planning and implementation of fundraising campaigns, and oversees and manages the campus-wide prospect management and tracking systems. These systems are essential to the development and coordination of work with all giving prospects, especially those with lead and major gift capacity. The individual maintains overall responsibility for major gift prospect identification, management of prospects through the major gift processes, and research in support of the College’s fundraising goals and objectives and will play a key role in capital and special gift campaigns.
The Director of Prospect Management is an integral member of the campus fundraising team. The Director is responsible for identifying, researching, and analyzing prospects for major gift cultivation and solicitation. This research and analysis serves as the foundation of a fundraising campaign and directly contributes to the success of the College’s fundraising initiatives. The outcome of effective research and management facilitates the cultivation and solicitation of top prospects by lead campaign volunteers and College and Advancement staff members.
A. Daily 40% Major Gift Prospect Identification
Proactively and independently plan and execute creative strategies to identify sources of major gift ($10,000+) private support using prospect data, wealth capacity screening, and individual research to ensure that campus wide fundraising initiatives have sufficient prospects to meet fundraising goals. Develop and manage prospect management processes, including the assessment of Linkage, Ability, and Interest, rankings and ratings. Manage the prospect pool and assignments to the major gift officers, volunteers, and others involved in the cultivation to solicitation of prospects. Develop and execute strategies to ensure that newly identified prospects are presented and assigned to appropriate campus fundraisers in a timely manner.
B. Daily 30% Oversee Moves Management and Provide Campaign Support
Oversee the maintenance and updating of the moves management system and ensure compliance with the policies and procedeures related to the system. Provide support for a campaign through the oversight of the system and through reporting processes. Develop moves management strategies for the donor prospects of Trustees and Campaign Volunteers. Establish and maintain processes for the allocation of new prospects. Develop and implement processes for wealth capacity screening of new donors and the assignment of these donors.
B. Daily 15% Prospect Research, Analysis and Writing
Research/Analysis/Evaluation: Provide high-level research on individuals, corporations, and foundations using a wide variety of biographical, organizational and financial sources, including state-of-the-art online database services, Internet websites, library and government sources and other external repositories of public information. Analyze and synthesize accumulated information to assess financial capacity, philanthropic tendencies, giving propensity and linkages to campus. Evaluate research results to develop and implement further research strategies utilizing ethical intelligence-gathering techniques of the information profession.
Writing: Compose documents (profiles, biographies, project summaries) using style, grammar and content appropriate to specific audiences. Interpret and translate complex financial, legal and corporate language into easily comprehensible terms while adhering to College standards of discretion and confidentiality. Extract and communicate key information which directs cultivation and solicitation strategies. Prospect knowledge, including ratings, interests and linkages acquired through research is preserved and maintained in a complex database system that is accessible to campus wide fundraising staff and used to develop future cultivation strategies.
C. Daily 10% Consultation
As a key member of various campaign committees and liaison to a portfolio of advancement directors, collaborate and consult with diverse campus contacts, including advancement staff, academic leaders, and others on matters related to portfolio development, solicitation strategy formulation and information gathering through peer screenings. Interpret results and provide direction on the segmentation and management of large groups of prospects and donors identified through the electronic screening process.
Provide consultative services and orientation sessions on research methodologies and resources to fundraisers, faculty and other key campus personnel involved in fundraising. Efficiently monitor a core group of principle gift prospects and maintain an active awareness of the important news and events involving them.
D. Daily 5% Other Duties
Help with work related to the campus-wide prospect management and tracking system as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education
- A minimum of five years in fundraising
- Familiarity with Raisers Edge
- Demonstrated experience in prospect research, development, library research or information related field preferably in a higher education environment. Knowledge of the range of resources available to prospect researchers and the ability to apply those resources in an organized and purposeful manner.
- Demonstrated analytical skills to initiate and perform complex analyses and organize information to identify philanthropic patterns, tendencies, and relationships among individuals, corporations and foundations. Ability to analyze and interpret complex financial disclosure documents for the purposes of wealth assessment (SEC filings, real property files, financial and legal disclosures, etc.).
- Demonstrated ability to conceptualize and develop proactive prospecting methodologies to support organizational goals, including data mining, sophisticated constituent database queries, etc.
- Strong computer skills and demonstrated background in Internet-based research. Experience working with a relational database a necessity, preferably Advance C/S, as well as the Microsoft Office suite of products, including excel. Ability to download and export information between systems.
- Excellent oral and interpersonal skills, including diplomacy required to function effectively among campus fundraisers, high level campus administrators, volunteers and other constituencies to bring large scale projects to completion. Ability to work in a team environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, prioritize work, and independently manage multiple, diverse and competing priorities while meeting deadlines.
- Strong project management skills and problem-solving skills and demonstrated ability to work in a demanding environment. Ability to maintain confidentiality and work with sensitive information.
- Ability to recall, recognize and communicate interrelated information pertaining to College benefactors and prospects.
- General fundraising skills, including proficiency at supporting and participating in prospect management and tracking processes and staying informed of trends in the field.
- Knowledge of ethics statements by APRA, Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE), and other related associations.
- Personal belief in mission, goals and objectives of private higher education
- Self-motivated & self-starting
- Passionate & committed to going out and getting gifts
- Respectful, kind
- Optimism and positive attitude
- Attention to detail
To view this position online click here. To Submit applications to email@example.com
Posted June 21, 2018